Today, we're going to Mexico! Vegan tacos, with homemade corn tortillas. The ingredients are simple. In this recipe I used a pea protein preparation to make it easier and I focused on the tortillas, which made all the difference! In addition to being much healthier than the tortillas you buy, they are much tastier and have a much more interesting texture.
For 6/8 tortillas
- ½ cup of wheat flour or spelled
- ½ of corn semolina
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/3 cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp. of oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- I used the pea protein
- I cooked the pea protein mixture as instructed and added plenty of sriracha and chili (you know I'm a fan of spicy), use as you like.
- I used vegan mayonnaise, fresh coriander and tomatoes and plenty of lime juice.
- The toppings are completely to taste! If they have roasted vegetables or a nice scrambled tofu they will be delicious for sure.
- In a bowl place the flour, yeast and salt. Mix well.
- Add the oil to warm water.
- Slowly pour the warm water with the oil into the mixture and add it with a spoon.
- Knead the mixture well until you get a uniform dough.
- Let the dough rest for about 20 minutes.
- Make small balls with the dough (I made 6)
- Gently roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin until you get a disk. Repeat this process until you have 6 to 8 discs. Don't forget to use a little flour on the rolling pin and on your board so that the dough doesn't stick to the surface you're working on.
- Cook each tortilla individually in a skillet, non-stick without any fat and over a high heat, until well toasted.
- Add the toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Recipe and images by Ana Sofia Rosado from Spicy Vegg Blog