International Picnic Day invites us to stretch a towel outside and eat out in the open air with friends or family.
The celebrations of this day are simple and anyone can join: just prepare some yummy snacks, take the basket and towel outdoors and keep social distancing as much as possible.
This can be a fantastic opportunity for you to value your relationship with Nature. Enjoy your time out under the shade of a tree, whilst feeling the warm summer breeze in your skin.
So nothing better than sharing some basic tips for a sustainable and eco-friendly 🌳 picnic:
- Prepare a menu in order to avoid food waste, prioritizing what you already have in the pantry and avoid processed foods and foods full of refined sugars. If you are lacking ideas, we suggest these three healthy, nutritious and very tasty recipes: Lemon and Thyme Cake, Oatmeal Cookies and Natural Chickpea Sandwich
- Choose organic, seasonal and local ingredients that have traveled as little as possible to reach you.
- If possible, avoid traveling by car. Choose a bicycle or, if possible, choose a park or a garden near you and walk to it.
- Don't have a fancy picnic basket? No problem. Make the picnic blanket or towel your own bag for transporting the food you prepared.
- Wrap the sandwiches in paper or cotton bags and avoid aluminum and plastics. Check out our suggestion of 3 cotton bags from Respiramor with 10% off.
- Avoid disposables and single-use items. Take your own cutlery, napkins and water bottle - Here is our ideal suggestion: Officinalis & NAZ Cutlery and straw kit with 10% discount.
- Do not leave any garbage behind. Always take it with you and separate organic waste from recyclables.
- If you don't feel like cooking, you can always pick up your meals at one of the several veggie restaurants preparing delicious lunch boxes for takeaways. From croissants, salads, croquetes, dumplings and pates, these restaurants have everything for a very delicious picnic. Here are some Veond app suggestions:
Centre and Great Lisbon
North of Portugal
South of Portugal
If you know other veggie restaurants and cafeterias preparing delicious snacks for takeaway, send us a message to [email protected]