Seitan is a popular vegan protein source made from wheat gluten (purified dried gluten powder) and water. It is high in protein and is a good source of minerals like selenium and iron. It is also important to note that seitan is a highly processed food and can be high in sodium when purchased pre-made. So the best thing is really to learn how to make your own homemade seitan. It has more texture than other meat alternatives like tofu or tempeh. Making your own seitan is really easy and the advantage is that you can choose the flavours and the shapes that you want.
Is seitan nutritious?
Seitan consists almost entirely of wheat gluten, but it is still a nutritious food that is high in protein and minerals while low in carbs and fat.
- 2 cups of vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup vegetable broth (ideally homemade)
- 2 tbsp soy or tamari sauce
- other 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion diced
- thyme or rosemary
- Make the dough - in a large mixing bowl combine vital wheat with nutritional yeast, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Mix wet ingredients - stir in 1 cup of vegetable broth and soy or tamari sauce. Stir with a wooden spoon until it becomes elastic and firm.
- Kneed the dough - knead the dough with your hands.
- Shape the dough -now you can cut the dough and shape it as you like (two loaves, or meatball size, or fajitas or nuggets, etc.)
- Cook the dough - place the dough in a saucepan and over with the remaining (4 cups) of vegetable broth, add garlic clove and onion, bay leaf and thyme or rosemary. Bring the liquid to a simmer covered for 30 - 40 minutes (add more seasonings as you like). When it's cooked, let the dough cool down before serving.