This Carbonara is a vegan take of the classic Italian dish, rendered heavenly by the smoky taste and tender texture of the smoked tofu. The Portobello mushrooms, nutmeg and soy cream will ensure that your pasta has a delicious, authentic Italian flavour.
Serves: 2-4 people
- 4 cups (400 g) fettuccine, tagliatelle or spaghetti
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups (200 g) portobello mushrooms
- ¾ cup (200 g) smoked tofu
- 1 cup (200 ml) soy cream
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- vegan Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Start preparing the pasta according to the packaging instructions. While the pasta is cooking, use the time to prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Peel and mince the onion and the garlic. Cut the Portobello mushrooms in quarters and the smoked tofu in small cubes. In a skillet with a dash of olive oil, sauté the onions and garlic until tender. Add the mushrooms and tofu. Season with salt, a little extra dash of olive oil if needed, dried basil, nutmeg and black pepper to taste. Stir well and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and tender.
- Once ready, rinse the pasta and add the content from the skillet. Pour in the soy cream and heat on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot with some vegan Parmesan cheese.