How to make a good vegan stew?
To get a very tasty dish that is also nutritionally complete, let's combine the ingredients that I describe below:
First, as a protein we are going to use seitan. For a more natural texture, I recommend shredding the seitan instead of cutting it.
Secondly, the potatoes will be the source of carbohydrates and, of course, will bring a lot of comfort to this recipe! Try to use small-sized potatoes, as these tend to be sweeter.
And finally, very comforting vegetables such as onions, carrots and celery will stew slowly, thus releasing all their juices and aromas. Thus, we will manage to get a delicious sauce!
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 600gr small potatoes, in quarters
- 400g small carrots, sliced
- 400gr of seitan, in small pieces / shredded
- 300gr of brown mushrooms, in halves
- 300g of celery, chopped
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small can of peeled tomatoes
- 250ml of red wine
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- 2 teaspoons smoked bell pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.5 teaspoons coarse salt
- Pepper mix to taste
- Fresh rosemary to taste.
- Olive oil to taste
- Place a little olive oil, onion, celery, garlic and bay leaf in an iron pan. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the carrot. Season with salt and sauté again for a while.
- Finally, add the mushrooms, seitan, potatoes, peeled tomatoes, wine and all the seasonings.
- Mix everything very well and let it come to a boil. When it starts to boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and, if necessary, thicken the sauce. To do this, remove some of the sauce into a bowl and mix with it 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until it is well dissolved. Put this preparation in the pan and incorporate everything again.
- Finish with fresh thyme and serve with your favourite bread!
Recipe and image by Oksana from the Dicas da Oksi blog
To learn how to make your own Seitan: all the step-by-step here.
More "one pot" recipes here.