This radicchio salad is perfect to show off at your dining table. It is all about the contrast in flavours and colors in this fragrant and refreshing carrot and orange salad. Rich in antioxidants and Vitamins C and E.
Serves 4 people
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 kg of carrots, cut into sticks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thyme leave
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes /chili flakes
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium red onions, cut into slices
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple or agave syrup
- 1 small head of radicchio, leaves separated and cut into medium pieces
- 2 cups of green salad leaves (either wild rocket, watercress, spinach)
- 4 oranges, peeled, sliced
- 2 cups parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Toast almonds on a baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until golden brown, 5 minutes; set aside.
- In the meantime, cook carrots in 2 tbsp. oil, 1 tbsp. thyme, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. red pepper, and 1 cup water in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until water is evaporated, about 15 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are lightly browned and tender, for about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp. oil in another frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, 1 tsp. salt, and remaining 1 tbsp. thyme and 1/4 tsp. red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 10–12 minutes.
- Make the orange juice dressing: Whisk garlic, vinegar, orange juice, syrup, and remaining olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- In a large bowl start by adding green salad leaves then radicchio, then carrot mixture, caramelized onion, orange slices, parsley, orange juice dressing and toss to coat.
- Top with reserved roasted almonds.