This highly nutritious and easy vegan bolognese sauce is made with crumbly tempeh, vegetables and flavouful spices. A hot pasta dish ready in less than 30 mins.
Tempeh is a prebiotic (a high fiber food) that can be considered a superfood. Originated in Indonesia, tempeh is an extremely nutritious, high protein, fiber-rich, digestible and naturally gluten-free fermented food. This “meat-free” dish is delicious and healthy and perfect for a comforting Monday dinner.
- approximately 280 g of tempeh
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, grated (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons of Tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme and / or oregano
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup and a half of tomato sauce (or passata)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Basil leaves
- Vegan "parmesan" cheese (optional)
- Begin by crushing the tempeh with your hands until you get something similar to "minced meat"
- Season the tempeh with salt, pepper, paprika, tamari, thyme and garlic powder. Reserve for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a pan with a small amount of olive oil. When hot, add bay leaf, chopped onion, garlic and ginger. When translucent, add the celery and carrots and sauté until tender.
- Then add the marinated tempeh mince.
- Add the Tamari marinade, the tomato puree and mix everything well.
- Add the tomato sauce (or passata) and the spoon of apple cider vinegar and stir well.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve hot with basil leaves and / or black olives and sprinkled with vegan parmesan cheese.