Pasta salads - as long as you choose good quality, whole grain or even gluten free pastas, are a great option for many types of occasions, particularly in Summer: they are great for picnics, for weekday work lunches, for beach days, for Sunday “veggie” barbecues, etc … and they are so easy to put together, giving you that extra time to be enjoying the weather with the ones you love. Plus, pasta salads, can create really wholesome meals. This nourishing pasta salad is perfect to be made in a big batch ahead of a busy week or as a side on a family Sunday outdoors lunch. It is delicious and super high in fiber. Also perfect for a Meat Free Monday!
Serves 2 people
- 2 cups of pasta, cooked according to package
- 200 grams of cooked chickpeas
- 200 grams of leek
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 small yellow pepper (optional)
- 2 cups of salad greens (either lettuce, wild rocket or watercress)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Fennel seeds and/or rosemary sprigs (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- About half a cup of fresh dill
- Juice of half a lemon or 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Set aside. Let it cool.
- Prepare the veggies: finely slice leeks, peel and cube beetroots. Lay them on a baking tray or in an oven proof dish, add a drizzle of olive oil, and add fennel or rosemary sprigs. Let them roast until crispy and fragrant - around 15 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let them cool.
- In the meantime, and If using chickpeas from a can, drain them and place them in a frying pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well and gently fry them until crispy. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- When both pasta, chickpeas and roasted veggies have cooled down start assembling the salad.
- In a large salad bowl add some fresh salad greens (lettuce, wild rocket or watercress).
- Then add the pasta, chickpeas, leeks and beetroot. Mix everything well. Add a bit of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, scatter some dill and serve cold.