For chicken nuggets lovers this is the perfect recipe. Besides being completely plant-based, these nuggets are tasty, crunchy and totally gluten-free. These bad boys are also full of protein, omega 3 fatty acids and are delicious with a side salad and a wholegrain mustard dipping sauce, or even tahini.
Makes 9/10 nuggets
- ¾ cup hulled hemp seeds
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of herbs de Provence (or other similar)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 2 tablespoons unflavoured pea protein (or other unflavoured vegan protein powder)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a parchment baking sheet.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the hemp seeds, broth, nutritional yeast, herbs, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the psyllium husks and protein power until the ingredients are perfectly combined and a sticky dough forms.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into 9 or 10 nuggets, about 2 tablespoons each, and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping the nuggets over halfway through the baking time, until they are firm to the touch and slightly golden on the top and bottom.
Adapted recipe from Liz MacDowell, author of the book Vegan Keto.