Today’s recipe for this Meatless Monday are these lentil croquettes, 100% vegetable, baked in the oven and not fried, gluten free, easy to make and with ingredients you can find in any supermarket. For snacking, as a starter or as part of a meal. The recipe makes about 25 medium croquettes, so it yields a lot and can be frozen (before going to the oven or later, as you prefer) .
- 1 cup lentils * brown / green (210g)
- 2 medium potatoes (~ 500g), chopped
- 1 onion, in pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce / tamari soup (30 ml) [optional but very flavorful!]
- fresh coriander or parsley to taste
- olive oil, salt, black pepper and smoked paprika [optional], to taste
- 1 + 1/4 cup oatmeal (160g) [or the same weight as other flour]
- for breading: ground flaxseed / ground almonds / breadcrumbs, to taste
- Soak the lentils for 6-8 hours or in hot water for 1 hour. Drain.
- In a pan with water and salt, cook the lentils, potatoes, onions and garlic for 15 min. Drain with a fine strainer, passing through cold water to cool.
- In a bowl (or in the same pan) add the already cooked and well drained ingredients, the soy sauce, the coriander / parsley, a drizzle of oil and the seasonings. Grind with the magic wand. Add the oatmeal and mix.
- Shape the croquettes (to make the process easier, grease your hands with olive oil), bread them in a bowl with the ground flaxseed or the chosen option and arrange them on a baking tray covered / oiled.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200 ° C for about 35 min.
* Note 1: red split lentils can be used but, in this case, it is not necessary to soak and must be added in the last 10 minutes of cooking the potatoes, onions and garlic.
* Note 1: lentils that have already been cooked (and drained) can be used - in this case the amount is 2 + 1/2 cups and they are added when grinding.
Recipe and image by Ines R. Pais https://www.instagram.com/p/CFO-ilggphb/