Light, fresh, nourishing and super nutritious - this Kale slaw with lemony vegan yogurt dressing is the perfect recipe for a hot “summer” day. It can be prepped ahead and used in tacos, wraps, budha bowls, or simply served with some grilled tofu steaks. Vegan and Gluten Free, this amazing kale slaw keeps for 4-5 days in the fridge. Fantastic to take to the beach too and super nutritious.
Prep time 15 mins
Cooking time 0 mins
Total time 15 mins
For the salad:
- 1 small bunch of kale, cut into very fine ribbons
- ½ small head red cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- ½ small head white cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 courgette, shredded or thinly sliced
- ¼ of a red onion, very finely sliced
- juice from 1–2 small lemons
- salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste
- Optional seeds for sprinkling – hemp, sunflower , pumpkin seeds
For the yogurt dressing:
- 1/2 cup sugar free vegan yogurt (125 g)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Make the slaw: place all slaw ingredients in a big bowl – kale, cabbage, carrot, courgette and onion. Toss well.
- Add the lemon juice to taste and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Add chili flakes to taste (opcional). Toss well. Taste and adjust the salt and lemon. You want the salad to taste tangy and flavourful!
- Make the yogurt dressing: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Keep in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the yogurt dressing to the salad, wrap well and serve with grilled tofu steaks, vegetable kebabs or any other side of your choice.
Note: Store the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 4-5 days!