Is there a more Portuguese dish than this? Probably not. In this fully vegan version of the traditional Portuguese Meat Roast with Potatoes we use Seitan meat - an alternative plant-based protein, that is very healthy, fat-free and with a very unique texture. This is a slow cooking recipe, therefore you shouldn’t be rushing dinner. The seitan "meat" must be marinated for at least 1 hour so that all the flavours are fully absorbed.
Serve this roast with a good salad and a glass of red wine. All the flavour and zero cruelty!
- 1 large chunk of seitan (or 2 smaller ones)
- 500 grams of potatoes to bake
- 400 g of carrots
- 400 g of parsnip (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons of garlic paste
- 2 tsps. of Dijon mustard
- 2 tsps. of spices to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of chili paste or powdered sweet pepper
- 1 glass of white wine
- Olive oil to taste
- Rosemary, to taste
- With some advance notice (at least 1 hour), season the seitan with half the ingredients on top, except the oil and vegetables (you will mix them later in the oven tray.
- Almost time to cook, pour the wine at the bottom of the tray that already contains the seitan, distribute the potatoes with the carrots and parsnips around and drizzle with olive oil
- Bake at 180º for about 1h 30m.
- Every once in a while, take a spin around the potatoes so that they are all cooked whole, taking care not to mash them.
- In the last half hour cut the seitan into slices, drizzle again with the sauce, add the rosemary and finish cooking.
- Serve with a green salad and good red wine.