Seitan steaks! It's a protein powerhouse!!! Flavourful, high protein, meaty Seitan steaks cooked in the traditional Portuguese "Bifana" style with loads of garlic, spices and beer. To be served with brocooli "migas" a type of Portuguese broccoli rice. Delicious, rich, nutrient dense meal that will please everyone. Even better if you make your own Seitan (check how to make your own seitan in the suggested recipe below).
Serves 2 people
- 250 g seitan
- 350 ml beer
- 90 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable butter
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked pepper
- Mustard seeds, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 large broccoli head
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 15 ml olive oil
- black pepper, to taste
- Cut the seitan loaf into steaks. Make 4 or 5. Put in a bowl and reserve.
- Crush 3 cloves of garlic and put in a small jar. Add the sweet pepper, pepper, bay leaf, mustard seeds, beer, close the jar and shake (gently) so that it mixes well.
- Pour over the steaks and marinate for at least 2 hours (the longer the better).
- Wash the broccoli and chop them in a processor until they look like rice grains.
- Chop 3 cloves of garlic, put the skillet over the heat, add the 15 ml of olive oil and garlic. Then put the broccoli and cook until it is soft enough to eat, but with an al dente texture. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- In the same frying pan, put the 90 ml of olive oil and when it is hot, place the steaks on top and the whole marinade. Season with salt. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes and turn so that they cook well on both sides. Cook for another 3 minutes and it is ready to serve.