Healthy, simple and delicious. A 100% plant-based adaptation of the traditional Portuguese dish - "pica-pau" - this time made with meaty mushrooms and fragrant thyme.
It is nutritious and rich in B and D vitamins. Perfectly served with a warm soup and some homemade bread.
- 300 grams of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 8-10 thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Slice the mushrooms, chop the garlic cloves and cut the shallots in half.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic cloves and shallots to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes until brown.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and saute for another 3-5 minutes until cooked. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- When the mushrooms have lost all the water, add the coconut milk and nutritional yeast and saute for another minute until the coconut milk has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with thyme and serve with good soup and toasted bread.