The typical Portuguese cod cake appetizer in its 100% plant-based version - a recipe by Maria Aragão in the book Omeletas Sem Ovos.
- 250g of cooked chickpeas
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 50g of potato flakes
- 1 dl of water
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 saffron coffee spoon
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil to fry, to taste
- Gently mash the cooked chickpeas.
- Chop the onion and the white part of the leek.
- Chop the parsley.
- Heat the water, add the potato flakes and stir.
- Combine everything and season with salt, pepper, saffron and cumin.
- Stir the dough well and take it to the fridge for a few minutes.
- Heat the of oil in a skillet.
- Make the cakes with the help of 2 tablespoons or make small balls and fry them until golden.
- Drain the cakes on absorbent paper.
- Serve it as a starter or with rice and peas.
Recipe and image authored by Maria Aragão in her book Omeletes sem Ovos.