Creamy and delicious? Without a doubt, these are the two words that best define this dish! Tofu with cream in the oven. A traditional portuguese fish dish perfect for the festive seasons. It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but it takes me back to my childhood. Proof that we really don't have to give up our roots just because we change our diet! Yes, we can continue to eat what we like and cook the simple staples of Portuguese cuisine.
- 8 small diced potatoes
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp of vegetable butter
- 3 tbsp of wheat flour
- 200ml of water
- 1 tbsp of algae
- 100ml of soy cream
- 200ml of almond milk
- 200g of tofu
- black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Start by cutting the potatoes into cubes and placing them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Add oil and salt. Put the potatoes in the oven at 210º for 30/35min. When 20 minutes pass, increase the temperature to 240º and cook them for another 10/15 minutes.
- Add the seaweed to 200ml of hot water and reserve. Remove algae when necessary to use water. Save some seaweed for later.
- Start by adding the butter in a pan over medium heat, until completely melted. Add the flour and stir well so as not to create lumps. It adds the algae water little by little, always mixing very well. Then add the vegetable milk and soy cream and stir until you get a good consistency. Reserve the bechamel.
- Cut the tofu into small pieces, add the tofu and some of the seaweed to the bechamel and then the potatoes. Season with salt, nutmeg, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the preparation in an oven dish and place it in the oven at 230º for 30/35min.
- Serve with a nice fresh salad!
Recipe and images by Ana Sofia Rosado from Spicy Vegg blog