Vegan version of one of the most typical (fish and eggs based) Portuguese dishes.This is one of the most acclaimed, sought after and typical dishes of Portuguese gastronomy now presented in a totally plant based but full of flavor and crispiness. Vegan Portuguese "Bacalhau à Bràs" made with veggies and chickpea flour as replacement for eggs. For a slightly different taste, garnish with fresh chopped dill instead of parsley and serve with a good green salad.
Serves 4 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks (only the white part)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/4 cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 200 gr. potato straws
- 100 gr. chickpea flour
- 200 ml. water
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 handful of black olives
- chopped parsley or dill, to taste
- Begin by gathering, washing and preparing all the ingredients.
- Then mix the chickpea flour, black pepper, salt, turmeric and ginger in a bowl. Gradually add the water, mix well so that there are no lumps. Set aside.
- Peel the onions, carrots and garlic cloves and wash the leeks and cabbage. Chop the garlic cloves, grate the carrots, slice the purple onions, the leeks and the cabbage.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bay leaf, the chopped garlic, and the chopped onions. Let them fry slightly without burning, but until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Then add the leeks, then the carrots and finally the cabbage.
- Saute and mix everything for 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the straw potato slowly and fold it with the vegetables.
- Pour the grain flour mixture over the vegetables and fold gently.
- Spread the vegetables through the frying pan and leave to fry until the mixture of grain flour with water dries out, mixing to make sure the veggies do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When ready, serve with olives and chopped parsley or dill and serve immediately with a green salad.